• BIST 111.864
  • Altın 174,046
  • Dolar 4,0278
  • Euro 4,9678
  • İstanbul 14 °C
  • Ankara 13 °C
  • Yozgat 11 °C
  • İzmir 20 °C
  • Adana 21 °C
  • Bursa 11 °C

Document Shows Gov’t İgnored Journalist Hakan’s Security Request Before Attack

Document Shows Gov’t İgnored Journalist Hakan’s Security Request Before Attack
Hürriyet columnist and CNN Türk program host Ahmet Hakan legally requested a security detail to be appointed by the Turkish government 17 days before a physical attack targeting him on Oct. 1, legal documents show while the Istanbul Governor’s Office said

Hürriyet columnist and CNN Türk program host Ahmet Hakan legally requested a security detail to be appointed by the Turkish government 17 days before a physical attack targeting him on Oct. 1, legal documents show while the Istanbul Governor’s Office said that Hakan did not request security on the day of the attack as he was granted ‘security upon call'.

Four men, arriving in a black Honda at 12:35 a.m. on Oct. 1, attacked Hakan in Istanbul’s Nişantaşı neighborhood, as he was returning home after hosting his television program.

Hakan was hospitalized with broken bones in his nose and ribs after he was beaten by three assailants. Another assailant targeted his private bodyguard, who was commissioned by daily Hürriyet.

The attack was preceded last month by a physical attack on daily Hürriyet’s headquarters in Istanbul by pro-Justice and Development Party (AKP) protesters on the night of Sept. 6. AKP deputy Abrurrahim Boynukalın was filmed amid that attack delivering a fiery speech in front of the Hürriyet office, and he was also filmed in another video explicitly threatening Hakan.

The veteran Hürriyet journalist has also been a regular target in Turkey’s pro-AKP media outlets.

“Like schizophrenia patients, you still think you are living in the days when Hürriyet was running the country. But we could crush you like a fly if we wanted. We have been merciful until today and you are still alive” pro-government Star newspaper columnist Cem Küçük had written in a Sept. 9 article, addressing Hakan. A criminal complaint against Küçük has been filed since the piece appeared.

After the threats, Hakan’s lawyer Turgut Kazan spoke on the phone with Interior Minister Selami Altınok, personally requesting an official bodyguard due to the “imminent threat” daily Hürriyet has learned.

Another lawyer, Aslı Kazan, also sent a written application to the Istanbul Governor’s Office on Sept. 14 to repeat Hakan’s request for a bodyguard.

At the time Hakan was attacked on Oct. 1, the government had yet to respond to the request. Officials told lawyers that the request would be reviewed after the Feast of Sacrifice holiday, which ended in Turkey on Sept. 28.

The Istanbul Governor's Office released a written statement on Oct.1, rejecting claims that Hakan was not granted official protection.

"Upon his request, [he] was granted 'security upon call,' but our investigation reveals that he did not request security on the day of the attack," the statement read.

Meanwhile, all suspects of the Sept. 6 and Sept. 8 attacks on the Hürriyet headquarters were released after briefly being detained by police and no legal proceedings had been launched against MP Boynukalın as of Oct. 1.

(Photo)

Kaynak: Haber Kaynağı
  • Yorumlar 0
  • Facebook Yorumları 0
    UYARI: Küfür, hakaret, rencide edici cümleler veya imalar, inançlara saldırı içeren ve imla kuralları ile
    yazılmamış yorumlar onaylanmamaktadır.
    Bu habere henüz yorum eklenmemiştir.
Diğer Haberler
Tüm Hakları Saklıdır © 2012 Ülkücü Medya | İzinsiz ve kaynak gösterilmeden yayınlanamaz.