Members of Turkey’s ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) have “strongly condemned” a physical attack against Hürriyet columnist Ahmet Hakan, who had previously been targeted with politically-motivated threats and is now injured after the assault in front of his home.
“We strongly condemn the awful attack against journalist Ahmet Hakan” AKP’s spokesperson and former Culture and Tourism Minister Ömer Çelik said on Oct 1, extending his sympathies to Hakan through a message posted to his official Twitter account.
“Attacks against journalists cannot be justified in any way. Violence cannot be condoned in any way. Violence should be unconditionally rejected,” Çelik said, voicing “best wishes” to all press members.
Hüseyin Çelik, a former spokesperson for the same party and a former minister, also condemned the attack.
“I strongly condemn the flagitious attack against Ahmet Hakan. No matter what its reason and goal is, all kinds of violence are indication of incapability,” Hüseyin Çelik said, also in a tweet.
Meanwhile, Republican People’s Party (CHP) leader Kemal Kılıçdaroğlu has also expressed his concerns on the assault.
“I am extremely sad. A dear journalist was first threatened with death and now physically assaulted. It creates great concern among us that tension in society has reached this point. It is our great desire that the government should take very careful and consistent steps over attacks targeting the media. Security forces will also fulfill their duty by finding the real perpetrators of this incident” said Kılıçdaroğlu.